SURREY (NEWS1130) - Smoke and rubble is all that's left of the Quattro development on 138 St. and 107A Ave. in Whalley after a massive fire. The apartment building under construction went up in flames around 4pm Wednesday.
At its worst, flames towered into the sky, setting an operator box of a crane on fire. Around 100 customers are without phone and internet service and many customers were without power.
A worker on the development says he's shocked.
"All of a sudden, I get a phone call that my building's on fire, my livelihood. Everything that I've worked for is...my tools, everything. Our genie's gone, everything's gone."
He says just two days ago, there was a small, but suspicious fire on site. It was chalked up to a standard workplace occurrence.
Outside of some fire crews suffering from smoke inhalation, no one was injured. Some people are still being kept from their homes because the stability of the large crane on site has been compromised.
Developer Charan Sethi with the Tien Sher Group of Companies was visibly upset as he stood outside the Quattro development as the remains smoldered. He says by the time he found out, it was already a goner.
"Horrified I guess. Basically, I was in Richmond when I heard about it and I heard there was a fire and it's going out of control and everybody's working to put it out, but it went up too fast."
He was pleased to hear that no one was injured in the fire, thanking crews for their work saving phase 1 of the project. Phase 2 was destroyed and he says both structures are covered by insurance, and will be rebuilt.
Photos courtesy of Mike Oakley